In 1924 the University of California Board of regents was looking for a new campus for expansion. They met with an exhaustive list of 17 potential sites, including the Janss. In 1925 they decided to build UCLA in Westwood. The university had originally requested 200 acres, but ended up buying 383 acres. The Janns brothers sold UCLA 300 acres at $2,000 an acre and 75 acres at $7,500 an acre for a total of $ Alphonso bell also donted 8 acres of bel air to complete the parcel.
UCLA in 1930. There were four or five building that made up the campus at this time including: Royce Hall, College Library, and the chemistry and biology buildings.