The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce and the City of Los Angeles Parks Department joined together to bring the Hollywood Sign back to life. During this renovation, in 1949 “Land” was removed to reflect the Hollywood district as a whole and not just the housing development.
The Hollywood Sign Rebuilt
During the late 70’s, the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce decided that the Hollywood sign needed a complete restoration. The project cost was around $250,000. Hugh Hefner held a fundraiser for the Hollywood sign in 1978 at the Playboy Mansion. Each of the letters of the sign were put up for “adoption” at $27,700 each.
“W” was funded by crooner Andy Williams, rock artist Alice Cooper “adopted” one of the O’s, while Gene Autry financed an L’s reconstruction. With the funding in place the old sign that stood for over half a century was demolished.